You, and I to a lesser extent, and others are the exception.  I was
born blind, didn't go to any institutions for the blind, was raised as
an only child, mostly in rural Vermont with minimal help from state
agencies.  Graduated from Dartmouth when I was 20, again with minimal
if any help from agencies--didn't have my first experience with any
agencies or institutions for the blind until I was 24, when the
Carroll Center was offering a medical transcription course and I
needed another, safer place to be.  They kicked me out of their dorm,
making me homeless, after six weeks there.  Rehab flatly refused to
support me and my music career in any way, and pressured me to go to
the Carroll Center in the first place, then pressured me to get
therapy and reform my ways when they made me homeless.  I only started
cautiously learning how to deal with the agencies in 2007, when it
became clear that my failing hearing was going to force me out of the
transcription career I'd had for 13+ years.  I learned Jaws and
Windows essentially by myself, as I've always been good with tech.
Even now, while I may have learned a little about how to get along
with the agencies and get what I need, it's a very uneasy truce at
best./  I hope to be starting a job at another institution for the
blind soon, but this time as a trainer, not a student, which hopefully
will turn out better.  You can see why I advocate for the abolition of
such systems.  They do not foster independence of thinking, and tend
to punish outside-the-box people, in my experience.  I do realize that
people blinded later in life may not adapt as fully as those born
blind; I'm learning that as I lose my hearing, so I have the privilege
of seeing both sides of the coin, but think about what that implies--
that the pressure on those whose world has already been blasted by
losing their sight will essentially become putty in the hands of high-
pressure agencies who are set in their ways.  The system seems to
punish at both ends--if you're too independent, you're pressured to
conform; if you're new to blindness, you're taught not to think for
yourself.  Hell, I didn't even do mobility orienting stuff until last
year, when Rehab here in CA suggested I ry it, and I decided, in the
interests of keeping the peace, what the heck; my mobility teacher
quickly realized that there was very little, beyond the immediate
rehearsing of directions, that she could improve upon what I and my
dog were already going.  Since I got Trekker, that's even more so; now
that Trekker is temporarily broken, I truly feel the loss. :)  I don't
see how the agencies really have done me any good, other than in the
purely material realm, and if I weren't as articulate as I am about
stating my needs, and as forceful as I am about what I need, which
most people are not, even that gain might be minimal, and even now the
damage is significant.  So, that's where my beef with the system(s)
comes in; sorry if that makes it a personal grudge, but there you are
then.

Mark BurningHawk Baxter

Skype and Twitter:  BurningHawk1969
MSN:  burninghawk1...@hotmail.com