Hi Jorge:
This could certainly be what's going on.  I have my trackpad commander on, and
I just simulated what you described with the same result.  Luckily, this is an
easy fix.  To activate VO correctly gain, just tap the trackpad with three
fingers.
I hope this helps and resolves your problem!
If not, let me know, and I'll try and trouble shoot with you off list!
Olivia
"Innovation distinguishes between a leader and a follower" Steve Jobs