From: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com [mailto:macvisionaries@googlegroups.com]
On Behalf Of Garth Humphreys
Sent: Thursday, November 24, 2011 8:41 AM
To: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Mac feel natural

Hi

I would agree with the general sentiment that you need to just use your mac for
a while. I have only had my Mac for a couple
of months but I have used it everyday.

I feel relatively comfortable on the Mac. I wouldn't agree that you need to
stop using Windows completely. I have been using
Windows XP at work everyday as well and also I've been using Windows 7 and
Vista at home as well.

I think the important thing is to use the Mac regularly. It is just practice
and to a degree muscle memory. There are
obviously lots of factors but one major component of feeling comfortable is
simply knowing what keystroke to press without
having to think about it. The simple fact is that the required keystroke to
achieve something on a Mac is likely to be more
complicated then it would be on a Windows machine. I don't mean that it is
necessarily less intuitive I just mean that it is
likely to involve more keys and so maybe harder to remember.
When it comes time for me to send this message for example I won't have to
think through what the key stroke is. I have used
the mac mail app enough that it is second nature to hit Cmd+Shift+D.

In short, like others have said practise. If you have to put your Windows
machine out of reach for while to force yourself
then sure, why not.

For me personally the thing I have loved most about using my mac is the
physical hardware it's self. The MBA is truly a
lovely machine. I like using Lion and VO but for somethings it is just no
replacement for an up-to-date windows machine. Word
with JAWS or even NVDA is far better then Pages and VO in my opinion. And I
would be really happy if I never had to hear busy
busy   busy   busy again.

NVDA is becoming or should I say has become a first class screen reader and it
is free.

I do love my Mac but Windows is also an excellent OS.

Garth

twitter.com/blindtechmusing

,
On 24/11/2011, at 7:50 PM, Krister Ekstrom wrote:

> Hi,
> I have been using the Mac since 2008 and am never ever ever ever going to go
> back to windblows again. It took me a weekend
to set it up and once done, i left windblows behind and have never looked back
since. Ok, i've got a vm with XP and one with
7 in it, just to see what i'm not missing. The only things i use windblows for
nowadays is playing audio games. Let's hope
there'll be mac versions of them too so i finally can ditch windblows
alltogether.
> I can only agree with what others have said here, use the mac as much as
> possible, especially when you learn it. That will
make the experience easier.
> /Krister
>
> 24 nov 2011 kl. 03:16 skrev Mary:
>
>> Traci,
>>
>> the way I did it was to force myself to do everything I needed to do on the
>> Mac and stay away from Windows.  No matter how
tempting it was, I didn't allow myself to use Windows at all While I was
learning to use the Mac.

>> Mary
>>
>> On Nov 23, 2011, at 12:26 PM, Paul Mimms wrote:
>>
>>> Most of us are more comfortable with what we have become familiar with
>>> using, therefore what is easier.  You may find you
just need to stop making the decision whether to use the MacBook or the PC and
remove the PC from consideration.  Make the
MacBook the only computer you use and make it work for you just as you did with
the PC at one time.

naturally go to it.  I'm still using my ancient windows laptop most of the
time.  It can be 3 or 4 days, and I think I really
should go on my Mac.

did it take you before the Mac felt second nature?