From: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com [mailto:macvisionaries@googlegroups.com]
On Behalf Of Kevin Shaw
Sent: Tuesday, December 20, 2011 9:05 AM
To: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Question about making itunes playlists

Hi Missy and others,
There is an easy way to manage your christmas music in iTunes without creating
a separate music library.

I recently imported all of my christmas music at once so I could manage the
files as a huge block in the Recently Added
playlist that comes with iTunes. From there, you can do one of two things:

1.      Create a new playlist and call it "Christmas Music." Select your files
and choose Add to Playlist from the contextual
menu. (VO-Shift-M.) Choose the christmas Music playlist you just created.

This method works if you can quickly grab a bunch of songs at once and throw
them into the playlist. There is another way
that is a little more efficient and requires a few more steps. You can do this
with a smart playlist.

Find the songs you want to add to your smart playlist. Choose Get Info
(command-I) on the song or songs.

You are going to navigate to the "Grouping" field. There, type in a descriptive
term like "Christmas". If you need to hunt
for your Christmas music among all of your music, set a VO hot spot so you can
quickly get back to the Grouping field.

Repeat this with all of your Christmas music.

When you've finished your 200 tracks, create a new smart playlist from the File
menu, or use command-option-N.

You'll be presented with a dialog box that will let you set rules for the
playlist. Set it up like this:

Match the following rule: Grouping contains "Christmas".
Uncheck the "Limit to X items" checkbox.
Uncheck the "Match only checked items" checkbox.
Check the "Live Updating" checkbox.

Hit OK. You'll be asked to name your new smart playlist. Name it and hit enter.

Voila! You'll have a smart playlist containing all of your  Christmas music.
Once you're in this playlist, you can check and
uncheck these items in bulk by selecting all and choosing check or uncheck al
in the context menu.

I've done this for my christmas music and it's a really good way of sorting the
good stuff into a playlist. It also lets you
customize other smart playlists by genre or other terms you stick in the
grouping field. i.e. Christmas instrumentals,
christmas jazz, Christmas cocktail party and so on. the benefit of using the
grouping field is that you are able to customize
the genre specifically to the music without using a catch all term like
christmas.

Email me off list if you  get stuck.

Kevin
On 2011-12-19, at 10:36 PM, Ricardo Walker wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What you ask is not possible.  For a song to be in a playlist, it need to be
> in the main music playlist.  But, there is a
way you can have all the christmas music skipped if your just letting the music
in your music playlist play.  After you've
moved your christmas songs to a playlist, just uncheck them.  This is as close
as you can get to what your trying to achieve
in iTunes.  Well, now that I think about it a little more, I don't see why you
couldn't make a brand new music library and
just put your christmas music in it.  Actually, thats probably the best way to
go here.

> hth
>
> Ricardo Walker
> rwalker...@gmail.com
> Twitter & Skype: rwalker296
> www.mobileaccess.org
>
> On Dec 19, 2011, at 10:21 PM, Missy Hoppe wrote:
>
>> Hello, all. I don't even know if what I'm wantting to do is possible,
>> but I figured I'd ask on here to find out. I know how to buy music on
>> Itunes, but so far, that's about all I've learned. What I'd ideally
>> like to do is find a way to make a playlist containing all of my
>> Christmas music, but have it be completely separate from the main
>> music list. That way, if I'm navigating my list of songs during the rest of
>> the year, I don't keep encountering my 200 or
so Christmas songs. Is there even a way to do what I want, or even if I make a
playlist for the Christmas stuff, will it be
permanently in the master music list. Is there a way I can cheat and accomplish
what I want using cut and paste in finder?
>> Any assistance you could provide would be extremely appreciated, even
>> if there's no way to do precicely what I want, any tips on building a
>> playlist would be extremely appreciated. Thank you all very much for your
>> time, and I hope that this message makes at
least a little sense.