An image will be available soon for download and flashing, to 770 users only.

I guess including some sources - kernel at least (I am interested and maybe could even help) or all modified packages.
Yes, we'll include the sources / patches to all open source packages that need to be modified, including the kernel.

After that, Maemo developers with a 770 and a bit of time on their hands are encouraged to check it out.

I will and definitely try to help if possible. Few questions/ideas:

Did you try to leave old kernel from 2.2006 and backport changes needed (if any) from rx-34 kernel? Seems easier than using rx-34 kernel directly (arch/arm/omap1/ is outdated). What newer kernel gives us?
If I remember correctly Markku considered this at some point. Markku?

Same for initfs, what does break, dsme,bme? Thanks for the toolchain name, I had to build static version of evkey for bootmenu since I couldn't find correct uclibc toolchain. there is 'We used rx-34-initfs from apt-repository as a base' where is this, something internal?

We will work on this still for some time though it is hard to say how long. It will also depend on how this is received. It might be that we can get more of the DSP and Multimedia to work, or maybe not.

Could leaving old kernel, dspgateway, dsp_dld and all n770 codecs help with this? Updated gstreamer could be nice, though. Maybe some fixes in newer gst dsp plugins to make it work with older DSP stuff can make this possible?
Probably. I had a chat a couple of days with Makoto and Andrea and they proposed keeping the OS 2006 DSP subsystem.
Not sure about the kernel though, it might cause help work elsewhere.

We can’t justify doing much work on this hybrid, our development focus is really on the N800. However, if we manage to make further progress we will release updated images. We’ll look at any patches that people in the Maemo community might turn up and consider applying them and releasing new images. We can’t promise we will do a good job there but let’s see what we can manage.

Well I think community can (in theory) keep working on this and continue as long as is needed. What is not clear is how far we can go without those few but important closed bits (initfs - dsme/bme, config partition format, cal-tool etc., dsp stuff) and implications they have on the rest.

Yeah. This will be interesting to see.

This is again, something new for us, and we hope to learn something in the process.

Yes, at least it can be another push to opensource something needed for this or reveal how far we can go without it. I am pleasantly surprised by the progress so far.

It should help us refine our understanding of the trade-offs we are making when deciding to open/closed something

Br,
Carlos