--- Siarhei Siamashka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Siarhei Siamashka wrote:

> This is what works for MPlayer on Nokia 770. It creates x11 window just
> to reserve some screen space and prevent other applications from using
> it. After that, it renders data directly to framebuffer and uses x11 for
> input. It is not very clean, but it works. And it works fast. The same trick
> can be probably done for SDL.

Indeed SDL is the 'gaming api' in-use for games that run acceptably on tablets,
and Xrandr would
be the natural choice for changing screen resolution. While that would be fast
and simple, it
doesn't look good. See

http://pupnik.de/ScalersExult.png

As the screenshots show, a Scale2x or 2xSai scaler yields much more readable
text (view on the
tablet to get a good idea of this).

While I appreciate that the folks at Nokia are looking into solutions aimed at
future Xomap and
tablet releases, my interest is directed toward improvements that can apply to
current N770 and
N800 tablets.

To this end, my hope would be for a fast Implementation of SDL's HWSURFACE that
would allow the
SDL app to use an internal high quality scaler or 800x480 native resolutions.

Siarhei Siamashka wrote:

> Also it would be a good idea to benchmark SDL, identify maemo or ARM
> architecture related bottlenecks and try to fix them. Many older generation
> games worked perfectly on hardware way slower than Nokia 770. So
> Nokia 770 may be a good platform for mobile gaming if properly
> optimized
> This is what works for MPlayer on Nokia 770. It creates x11 window just
> to reserve some screen space and prevent other applications from using
> it. After that, it renders data directly to framebuffer and uses x11 for
> input. It is not very clean, but it works. And it works fast. The same trick
> can be probably done for SDL.

If the memcpy on 770 is something like 190MB/s, pushing 800x480 at 30fps would
use only 12 percent
of that bandwidth

I feel that a better SDL implementation would be time/money well spent, as it
would be an easier
upgrade than Xomap for current 770/800s, and would also benefit future nokia
tablets.

Arnim