Darius,

You say you work with lots of groups, have you ever actually done any coding
for maemo and obtained actual coordinates of the distinct multitouch
hotspots as you touch it?
I would love to see examples of your code because multitouch would be a nice
feature to have.

You will find I am actively involved in making the most out of these nokia
devices and have investigated a great number of options and directions for
the input and output side of these devices and multitouch is something I
have put quite a bit of brainpower towards.

The effect you see when sideways scrolling is exactly what I specified in my
earlier mail, but saying it is multitouch is flat out wrong, it is simply
the sideeffect of changing the centre of gravity.

With a true multitouch surface the running application obtains multiple
distinct hotspots, that is each finger produces its own hotspot at a
specific location, the surface can track multiple hotspots.
The event subsystem must be geared to handle these hotspots and the
applications themselves need to know what to do with them.

The "multi touch" effect you are seeing is the averaging of your distinct
fingertips into a single cursor location. Applications for maemo expect and
obtain a single cursor location and know nothing about multiple hotspots
(the touchscreen simulates events to move a single virtual mouse pointer)

There is no native multi touch on these devices.

That does not say that it is impossible to obtain lower resolution multiple
contact points and an expanding/contracting zone from this averaged data -
it is something I have actively investigated and tested in code on the
device (thank you x-fade, i've not forgotten).

Gary