I am 99.99% certain the internet tablets use resistive touch screens,
which means this underlying technology cannot do multitouch.

Using more than one contact point on these screens will change a
reading, but it won't get the result you want. It will be an
intermediate reading between the multiple contact points.

Here is a manual from atmel which seems to do a decent job of explaining
how a resistive touch screen works:

http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_documents/doc8091.pdf

My assumption also is that this is a 4 wire touch screen, not a 5 wire
touch screen, since we can get pressure readings and 5 wire touch
screens don't do pressure readings.

For comparison, this is a relatively friendly guide on how one kind of
capacitive touch screen works:

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/iphone2.htm

It may not be the only kind of capacitive touch screen.

You might reasonably ask why Nokia chose to use a cheaper and less
capable technology (digikey.com lists relative pricing and this is how I
know it is cheaper.)  My suspicion, other than cost, is that they
already knew how to use resistive touch screens and didn't see a reason
for adding additional technical or perhaps legal risk.  Or maybe since
it's so cold in Finland nobody takes off their gloves and everybody uses
a stylus instead, which you aren't supposed to be able to do with a
capacitive touchscreen (see above link.)