On Wednesday 24 February 2010 13:20:40 Thomas Tanner wrote:
> Why would anybody not upgrade the firmware?
> Why is backwards compatibility necessary for Fremantle minor releases?
> Enforcing the requirement could make our life so much easier.

There can be a number of reasons, ranging from various regressions (like
sticking to 42-11 because of WiFi issues in 51-1), policies (if it ain't
broken, don't fix it, not all bugs affect all people), cost/stability (I
might not want to upgrade when roaming) or simply firmware non-availability
(firmwares are not rolled out simultaneously for all countries, ask UK
folks :). Forced upgrades are usually a last-resort measure, done only if
there is a legal reason (like compliance with some regulations, maybe things
related to emergency calls, etc).

Regards,
Attila