I don't know whether this has been discussed before:

what is wrong with forcing users that have the necessary Internet access
to download applications from Extras, to also upgrade to
the lastest firmware, which is supposed to fix bugs anyway.
Why would anybody not upgrade the firmware?
Why is backwards compatibility necessary for Fremantle minor releases?

Enforcing the requirement could make our life so much easier.
We could have a package "maemo-extras" which enables the extras
repository and which always depends on the latest firmware version.
Or we could add the current firmware version to the dependencies of
packages build on autobuilder.
Users who don't want to upgrade would have to stick with the on-device
applications.

cheers

--
Thomas Tanner ------