On Thu, 2010-03-18 at 13:32 -0500, Samir Faci wrote:
> Hmm.. any one know if meego will be completely open source?.

There's the usual frustration with a lot of press release
marketing-speak going around but the short version is that there will be
at least a base version of Meego which will be completely open source as
well as customizations designed by handheld makers or cellphone
providers.

"Once we just get going the objective is to have all of the MeeGo
platform work fully in public..."

"...MeeGo will be a complete yet not entirely productised Linux
distribution, it is fully Open Source in code and in process..."

"...Still, there are some bumps to be expected: MeeGo is supposed to go
beyond its parents in openness. Also...other companies will get involved
as open source makes its inroads to device business mainstream. Yet
MeeGo operations are expected and designed to be completely transparent
- R&D in the public internet! This is still a baffling proposition to
many. Some do not want to do it, some do not dare, many do not know how
to. We still have a trainload of openness virgins here! Herding the
teams to go public will be a big task for [Meego]"
"
Source: the meego.com blog
http://meego.com/community/blogs/valhalla/2010/towards-day-one

"Intel and Orange will work to increase the availability of Orange
Signature Services, such as Orange TV and Orange Maps, which will be
supported by the MeeGo environment..."

"...'With the increasing number of phones and operating systems for
customers to choose from, it is our role to make sure our customer's
journey into this richer mobile multimedia environment is simple and
easy,' said Yves Maitre, SVP Devices, Orange Group. 'Our collaboration
with Intel on the MeeGo software platform will...[ensure] that customers
continue to benefit from a consistent user experience delivered through
Orange Signature services, including a customized home-screen'"

source

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/intel-orange-collaborate-on-meego-platform-to-deliver-a-new-mobile-multimedia-experience-on-intelr-atomtm-processor-based-devices-86140547.html

Dear G-D that url is ugly. Use this instead:

http://tinyurl.com/yfsozlw

Whether the base version of Meego will be useful enough to an end user
will be the big question. What does "a complete yet not entirely
productised Linux distribution" mean?

Joseph Charpak
josephchar...@comcast.net