ext Jeremiah Foster <jerem...@jeremiahfoster.com> writes:

> On Mar 22, 2010, at 7:47 AM, Marius Vollmer wrote:
>
>> In my view, MeeGo is a development effort, not a standardization
>> effort.
>
> I am not convinced that this is true. It looks like MeeGo is going to
> track upstream closely with few customizations. It is going be be more
> of an integration that a distribution. In that regards, it leans
> closer to a "standard linux instance" than it does a separate distro.

Hmm, still, MeeGo is surely going to be a collection of software that is
maintained, released, and distributed.  There will be documents about
it, but the primary product of the joint Intel/Nokia effort is surely
going to be mostly software, and not PDFs or--deity beware--PowerPoints
and a certification process.  Or did I really understand things wrong?

>> Thus, MeeGo lives next to Fedora and Ubuntu, and remixes much of the
>> same software in a slightly different way.  It is not in the same
>> category as POSIX, LSB, and FHS.
>
> The value it will have though is as a building block - not as a
> finished distro like Fedora or Ubuntu.

I think it is important that MeeGo is a viable OS on its own, to attract
more people.  The content draft says that it will: it goes all the way
up to a graphical desktop environment, including a few applications, and
maybe even a browser.

If I become interested in MeeGo, and the first thing I have to do is to
decide which of the many vendor versions to actually use to get
something useful, I might already be put off.