> Spam being unsolicited broadcast email, I would say that if you agree to
> receive it, it cannot be spam.  This definition has held up well over the
> twenty-five years I've been involved in the industry.

Indeed, and it was formalized in item (2) in the Vixie/Mitchell defintion of
spam, which was promulgated ~20 years ago:

“An electronic message is “spam” IF: (1) the recipient’s personal identity and
context are
irrelevant because the message is equally applicable to many other potential
recipients;
AND (2) the recipient has not verifiably granted deliberate, explicit, and
still-revocable
permission for it to be sent; AND (3) the transmission and reception of the
message
appears to the recipient to give a disproportionate benefit to the sender.”

Interesting sidenote: While this definition was originally posted on the  MAPS
website, lo those ~20 years ago, I note that it is now posted on thousands of
sites.

Anne

---

Anne P. Mitchell, Attorney at Law
Dean of Cybersecurity & Cyberlaw, Lincoln Law School of San Jose
CEO/President, Institute for Social Internet Public Policy
SuretyMail Email Reputation Certification
Author: Section 6 of the CAN-SPAM Act of 2003 (the Federal anti-spam law)
Legislative Consultant
GDPR, CCPA (CA) & CCDPA (CO) Compliance Consultant
Board of Directors, Denver Internet Exchange
Board of Directors, Asilomar Microcomputer Workshop
Legal Counsel: The CyberGreen Institute
Former Counsel: Mail Abuse Prevention System (MAPS)
Happy Resident: Boulder, Colorado