On Thu, 22 Aug 2019, Michael Rathbun via mailop wrote:

In our experience, if you mail to addresses that haven't engaged (subscribe,
open, click) in the previous 90 to 180 days, there is a growing tendency for
your IPs/domains to be classified as spammaceous and dealt with appropriately.

You can't use engagement like that.

I consider the weekly/monthly email from a clothes store that gives me
a discount for being on their email list to be SPAM.

I consider the annual email from my old school HAM.
I read this but never reply, and it doesn't have cookies or other phone-home
features, so the list maintainers can only process unsubscribe requests and bounces to keep the list clean.

There is an email marketeers "rule" about frequent mail shots to keep
engagement up. I see this as a good definition of the junk mail sender.