From: mailop <mailop-boun...@mailop.org> on behalf of Mark Milhollan via mailop
<mailop@mailop.org>
Sent: Monday 20 September 2021, 19:02
To: mailop
Subject: Re: [mailop] Gmail putting messages to spam

On Mon, 20 Sep 2021, Ken O'Driscoll wrote:

> 2. Your sending domain (rafa.eu.org) is a sub-domain of a pseudo-TLD which a)
> gives sub-domains away for free, and b) has an overly permissive SPF policy
> ("v=spf1 +all"). The reputation of your sub-domain is going to be influenced
> by the reputations of the base domain and all of the other sub-domains.

One would hope Gmail consults the PSL which would disclose that
rafa.eu.org is not merely/only a subdomain of (name under) eu.org but
rather it is its own apex domain, just as names under com and co.uk are,
i.e., milhollan.com is a zone/parent delegated from com not merely a
name under com.  And I certainly hope I don't inherit the reputation of
com and all the names under it.

     $ psl --print-reg-domain com milhollan.com co.uk eu.org rafa.eu.org
     com: (null)
     milhollan.com: milhollan.com
     co.uk: (null)
     eu.org: (null)
     rafa.eu.org: rafa.eu.org

I'll agree that if obtaining eu.org domains is too easy that might be
too strong a negative signal to easily overcome, or put another way it
might be easy to include other things that make a decision of spam for
only some of a series of messages.

/mark