On Sat, 2021-12-18 at 17:02 +0000, Andrew C Aitchison via mailop wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Dec 2021, yuv via mailop wrote:
>
> > > When you're one company controlling both backend and all frontend
> >
> > This is the undesirable feature of centralization, I think we can
> > all
> > agree on that.  But what are the desirable features of
> > centralization,
> > and can they be breaken out and applied to a decentralized world?
> > Care to continue?
>
> Desired (by many service providers):
>    Captive market - content consumers cannot access the same
>                     content from another provider.
>    Ability to make money from content consumers (advertising).
>
> Many of us find these feature *un*desirable, the second at least in
> its
> current form, but those so inclined can take advantage ...

The difference between desired and desirable is that anything can be desirable
by one or more participants, but the desirable features are those win-win
features that are systemically desirable.

A captive market is definitely undesirable, except for the entity holding it
captive.  Few entities would not like to own a captive market.  Few entities
would like to be the captive.

The ability to make money is definitely desirable, the quesition with money is
not what, it is how.  I am happy to pay for utility.  I will do everything I
can not to pay for products or services that would be useless if there was note
the artificially created demand.  Note that anti-abuse services would be
useless if there were no spammers, so those two group that are seemingly
fighting a whack-a-mole game with the DKIM/DMARC alphabet soup are actually
allies at the expense of everone else.

A captive market is certainly an opportunity to make money, and if the market
dictator is sufficiently benevolent, the market turns out to be a pleasant
walled garden with acceptable service.  However, a competitive market should,
in theory, achieve better outcomes at lower cost through the creativity and
innovation spurred by competition.  But even competition has its limits and too
much competition, too many standards, too many RFCs, is what made internet
email such an unwieldy beast.

--
Yuval Levy, JD, MBA, CFA
Ontario-licensed lawyer