On 2021-12-26 19:23, Michael Rathbun via mailop wrote:
On Mon, 27 Dec 2021 02:44:35 +0100, Ángel via mailop <mailop@mailop.org>
wrote:

I wonder however if that's still the case for "professional" spammers,
as I expect they would be able to buy phone numbers more easily and
cheap than common users.

What is this 'buy' of which you speak?   Phone numbers are composed of digits,
all of which have been freely available for use since they were propounded by
Indians, Arabs, Romans...   Unless you mean "phone numbers that are actually
routable from caller to called party" which is unnecessary in this context.

Many/most centralized communication systems require phone number verification/validation (SMS or voice, typically) to activate a new account. Even when multiple accounts can be activated using a single phone number they can be linked and deactivated as a group.