On 1/19/22 2:54 AM, Alessandro Vesely via mailop wrote:
I guess it is difficult to process, but I fail to understand how forms can ease that task,

I think it comes down to unstructured vs structured data. Forms can have fields for each pertinent piece of information thus applying structure to the reports.

The form also acts as an abstraction layer in that the external parties interface via standard HTTPS GET / POST methods while the form itself can receive the data and do whatever the form author wants them to. The form can create standard message / INI style tag value lists, XML, JSON, what have you. This allows the internal communications to more easily interface with other internal systems.

I'm asking because, as I said, my abuse@ address is not published so I don't know how many non-actionable reports arrive and what makes it difficult to process them.

I know that I'm so small as to not be a blip on the RADAR. That being said, I don't remember the last time that I received a message to my abuse@ / postmaster@ / hostmaster@ addresses, save for tests that I periodically send to them from external 3rd party (freemail) sources.

Certainly, if someone advised me that there is a bot on my server which throws hopeless dictionary attacks at random IPs, I'd try and invent how to catch it or reinstall all as a last resort, but not something I can think to automate...

I'd like to think that everybody subscribed to mailop would try to do their best to clean up something reported to them. After all, I believe we all strive for being good operators.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die