<snip>

People are forced to get a Gmail account and strongly encouraged to use it (for example, by defaults and preinstalled apps) when they get an Android phone
--

----- End message from Vittorio Bertola via mailop <mailop@mailop.org> -----

*Completely* and objectively not true.

I've run Android phones for many years with a Google account based on my own personal non-Gmail email. I have never activated or used Gmail, and at no stage has an Android phone ever tried to force me to use Gmail.

When using Android without Gmail, at no stage in the "defaults" or "preinstalled apps" is this anything other than "enter your Google account email address and login"-difficult to achieve.

or for a number of other reasons related to other services.

Without knowing what "other services" you refer to, it's hard to be specific, but I use a lot of Google services without having a Gmail account without any difficulties. Which services (specifically) do you have in mind that are forced to use Gmail?

--
Simon Wilson
M: 0400 12 11 16