On 2023-07-12 at 18:53:31 UTC-0400 (Wed, 12 Jul 2023 15:53:31 -0700)
Michael Peddemors via mailop <mich...@linuxmagic.com>
is rumored to have said:

On 2023-07-12 12:53, Jaroslaw Rafa via mailop wrote:
Most of regular consumer email users don't have any reason for this. As Bill Cole, whom I was replying to, wrote - nobody would try to impersonate you or me in a phishing campaign for financial gain, because there won't be any.

hehehe.. they do it all the time.. It's your contacts that will fall for it, and it will probably be to place a trojan.. and clean out THEIR data, and banking information..

I've been having waves of both random and targeted email forgeries for 25+ years. I've had my personal mailserver knocked offline by the bounces of a spam run that used entirely invented scconsult.com addresses. The price of using Usenet for over a decade with a real email address.

I've never had a personal or professional contact tell me that they've received mail forged to appear to be from me. Not using my personal nor professional email addresses. I have no secondary evidence of that either. Maybe that's because all of my contacts know that I don't send anyone random message or anything in HTML so they just ignore it, but I doubt that. It just does not happen. I don't believe that I am special.

I am not saying that random people don't hit the bad luck lottery like this every day, just that most people will never have it happen to them while some people will see a lot of it.

Trust me, fought the whole SPF for a long while, it was 1/2 baked.. but when a bank or a large instition publicizes a clean SPF record.. honour it.. they will be forged more..

Yes. That's what SPF is good for: protecting senders of high-value mail from forgery.

I don't ignore SPF/DKIM/DMARC entirely, but they are very low-value tests in differentiating between legitimate and illegitimate email relative to their processing cost. They only provide usable in formation for those domains that one already is familiar with.

--
Bill Cole
Not Currently Available For Hire