Dnia 24.08.2023 o godz. 07:12:52 Chris Adams via mailop pisze:
> What do you do when legitimate mail (lately, DoorDash order info and
> Delta Airlines tickets) is sent to the wrong address?  These types of
> messages rarely have an unsubscribe method.  I get a ton of crap to a
> Gmail address that I really only use for Google-related stuff (not as a
> general email box), so I know instantly that this is not to me.
>
> Why do vendors think they don't need an unsubscribe in this type of
> mail?  Just because their customers are dumb and don't know their own
> email address doesn't mean they should continue sending personal
> information about them to other people.

I see no good solution to this.

When these mails are sent to an address registered with an account eg. in an
online shop, this is certainly an error on the side of the sender, because
account creation should always involve confirmation of the email that was
given by the user.

But what about one-time actions, when someone is doing a purchase in an
online shop *without* creating an account and just enters wrong email
address? Ask yourself: as a user doing such purchase, would you really want
to go through email verification process for every one-time action? To
receive first an email requesting you to confirm your address, only to next
receive another email from them with the actual information? That seems
over-engineered...

And the email verification actually doesn't fully solve the problem in that
case: if the user enters the wrong email, a wrong person (like you) will
still receive an unwanted message, only instead of an order confirmation or
similar, it will be a message asking to confirm your email by clicking on a
link. It makes any difference only in terms of data protection - ie. the data
belonging to the actual customer is not revealed to a third party - but it
makes no difference with regard to getting unwanted mail.

I think one has to live with that. The only thing we can do is to set up an
individual, per-user filter that will put all messages from services you
don't use to spam. I guess most people use only a handful of online
services and they know and recognize emails from them. So if you get
anything you don't recognize, set up a filter to put further mails from them
to spam. Of course, this needs constant updating; but for example if you
never shop at Amazon, and you receive any order confirmation from them, you
set up a filter that puts all further mail from Amazon to spam. Amazon
shouldn't bother you anymore. Then, if you receive another mail from a
service you don't even know about, you set up a filter to put all mail from
them to spam. And so on...

If you later happen to make a purchase at one of these services, and you are
expecting an email from them, the case is simple: you don't get an email you
are expecting, so you look for it in the spam folder.
--
Regards,
   Jaroslaw Rafa