> On Aug 24, 2023, at 6:12 AM, Chris Adams via mailop <mailop@mailop.org> wrote:
>
> What do you do when legitimate mail (lately, DoorDash order info and
> Delta Airlines tickets) is sent to the wrong address?  These types of
> messages rarely have an unsubscribe method.  I get a ton of crap to a
> Gmail address that I really only use for Google-related stuff (not as a
> general email box), so I know instantly that this is not to me.
>
> Why do vendors think they don't need an unsubscribe in this type of
> mail?  Just because their customers are dumb and don't know their own
> email address doesn't mean they should continue sending personal
> information about them to other people.
> --

Well, and also *confirming* the email address to start with.  Because not doing
so, (oh gosh *especially* for delivery services!) can lead to very bad
outcomes, and even liability for the sender!  Here are two real examples
(pasting them in but link at bottom to full article):

Mary and WeedWhackers
Mary placed an order with her local dispensary, we’ll call them WeedWhackers.
When the order was ready, the online order tracking and notification service
that WeedWhackers uses, GetNoticed, sent an email notification to Mary that her
order at the dispensary was ready for pickup. Only that notification didn’t go
to Mary. It went to someone else, a total stranger named John, because Mary had
mistyped her email address, and neither WeedWhackers nor GetNoticed had
bothered to confirm Mary’s email address. Within 5 minutes of receiving one of
the misdirected emails, using just the information available in that
notification, John knew where Mary lived, her date of birth, that she ran away
from home at 17, where she gets her taxes done, where she works, what her
position is at her job, and that she’s a pot smoker.

Mary’s position at her job is one where she is responsible for interacting with
customers, and handling a lot of cash. John also knew the frequency with which
Mary was picking up pot from WeedWhackers. In any situation where John does
something bad to Mary with this information, whether it’s going to her place of
work and harassing her, attempting to blackmail her with the information he
has, or possibly even assaulting her, both WeedWhackers and GetNoticed would be
named as defendants in any lawsuit that Mary brought, as their actions were
directly responsible for that information falling into John’s hands. Because
the generally accepted best practice in email handling is to confirm an email
address, Mary would have a good chance of prevailing in her lawsuit against
both WeedWhackers and GetNoticed.

Amber and QVC
Amber orders a lot of stuff from QVC. We mean a lot of stuff. Amber gets 3 to 4
orders a week from QVC. And QVC emails Amber confirmation notices of each of
her orders. And QVC’s delivery carrier, Hermes, emails Amber notices of
upcoming deliveries, and also notices of completed deliveries.

The only problem is that Amber is not receiving these email notices, because
she mistyped her email address; in fact Jason is receiving these notices. These
notices include her full address, and even the description and value of the
items that Amber has ordered from QVC. Because Amber orders a lot of makeup and
skin care items, Jason infers that she is a youngish, single woman. And because
he has her full name and address, he finds her Facebook profile, which confirms
it. When Jason goes to Amber’s house to break in and rob her (not to mention
possibly to do physical harm to Amber) he knows exactly what high-value items
to look for.

Amber should readily win a lawsuit against both QVC and Hermes, especially
because, in the actual situation, both QVC and Hermes were repeatedly put on
notice that they were sending the emails to the wrong person, and yet Amber’s
misdirected emails continued to flow to Jason.

-----

Full article at
https://www.isipp.com/blog/the-hidden-legal-dangers-in-not-confirming-email-addresses/

Anne

---
Anne P. Mitchell
Attorney at Law
Email Law & Policy Attorney
CEO Institute for Social Internet Public Policy (ISIPP)
Author: Section 6 of the CAN-SPAM Act of 2003 (the Federal email marketing law)
Author: The Email Deliverability Handbook
Board of Directors, Denver Internet Exchange
Dean Emeritus, Cyberlaw & Cybersecurity, Lincoln Law School
Prof. Emeritus, Lincoln Law School
Chair Emeritus, Asilomar Microcomputer Workshop
Counsel Emeritus, eMail Abuse Prevention System (MAPS)