It appears that Anne P. Mitchell, Esq. via mailop <amitch...@isipp.com> said:

>> On Feb 23, 2024, at 4:59 PM, John Levine via mailop <mailop@mailop.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>> 'd leave the links in the bodies for now. A lot of mail programs give
>> you a way to use the ones in the header, but some major ones like
>> Outlook still don't.
>
>Not to mention that Federal law requires a one-step unsubscribe method.
>
>As I often seem to get challenged on this, here is the text of the law:

You're confusing unrelated things. The one-click unsubscribe is
literally one click, no intermediate web page or anything returned to
the user. It's intended for mail systems that do the unsub on the
user's behalf. The most familiar is Gmail, where you can click the
junk button, and it sometimes gives you the option to unsubscribe
instead.

It is fine for a regular unsubscribe link to land on a page that asks
you to click on a button to confirm you meant it. As people have been
saying, that avoids false alarms from malware scanners.

As I assume you know, 15 U.S.C. 7704(a)(3)(B) specifically allows the
sender to provide a menu of opt-out options. If you think that's
wrong, I'd be interested to see case law saying that the usual
two-click unsub is illegal. I'm pretty sure there isn't any.

R's,
John