On 2015-12-17 04:08, Janusz S. Bień wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 05 2014 at 21:12 CEST, van...@tzone.org writes:
>> On 2014-09-05 10:50, Kim Vandry wrote:
>> My changes for the IMAP feature can be found here:
>>
>> https://github.com/vandry/mairix
>
> I've used it without problems for months, but recently I've bought my
> own domain and got my own IMAP server. The mail works OK on my Android
> smartfon but running mairix results in the fatal error:
>
> IMAP client cannot find capabilities list
>
> I would appreciate very much your suggestions how to diagnose and solve
> the problem.

Hello Janusz,

Finding the capability list from the IMAP server's greeting is one of
the first things the IMAP client does after connecting. There may be a
problem with the connection to the IMAP server or with the greeting it
sends. Try connecting to your IMAP server manually from the command line
to see what the greeting looks like. Use, for example, "telnet
<imap-server-name> 143" or "nc <imap-server-name> 143". The greeting
should include a cpability list. Here's my server's greeting for comparison:

* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE
IDLE STARTTLS LOGINDISABLED] Dovecot ready.

If the capabilities list includes "STARTTLS" then you can also test
encrypted connections to the IMAP server because that's what the mairix
IMAP client will do. Use this command:

openssl s_client -CApath /etc/ssl/certs -host <imap-server-name> -port
143 -starttls imap

Look for something like this in the last few lines of the output,
especially the "ok" verify return code:

     Verify return code: 0 (ok)
---
. OK Pre-login capabilities listed, post-login capabilities have more.

-kv