On Fri, Dec 18 2015 at  7:20 CET, jsb...@mimuw.edu.pl writes:

[...]

> Following http://www.anta.net/misc/telnet-troubleshooting/imap.shtml
>
> I tried also
>
> openssl s_client -connect serwer123456.home.pl:993 -quiet
>
> with the same outcome.
>
> Thi time I've reported the problem to the provider and i'm waitin for
> an answer.

It appeared that I have to use a different server address, but it was
only one aspect of the problem. I was able to solve it thanks to the
kind help of Kim Vandry off the list. I will quote him for the archive:

On Fri, Dec 18 2015 at 13:55 CET, van...@tzone.org writes:

[...]

> There are two ways to connect securely to IMAP servers: IMAPS and
> STARTTLS. With IMAPS, the client makes an SSL connection directly to
> port 993. With STARTTLS, the client makes an unencrypted connection to
> port 143 (the usual, and original, port for IMAP) and then upgrades
> the unencrypted connection to an encrypted one. Most servers support
> both ways. In the mairix client, I only implemented STARTTLS.
>
> To simulate IMAPS:
>
> openssl s_client -host serwer123456.home.pl -port 993
>
> To simulate STARTTLS:
>
> openssl s_client -host serwer123456.home.pl -port 143 -starttls imap
>
> Assuming the server supports both IMAPS and STARTTLS, then if you try
> either one of those test commands, you should be able to type IMAP
> commands manually to test the connection. For example:
>
> t1 CAPABILITY
>
> t2 LOGIN "username" "password"
>
> t3 LOGOUT

Best regards

Janusz

--
                           ,
Prof. dr hab. Janusz S. Bien -  Uniwersytet Warszawski (Katedra Lingwistyki