On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 11:50 PM, Kadal Amutham <vka...@apache.org> wrote:
> Both LibreOffice and OpenOffice are developed by fully / mostly by
> volunteers. Both serve the same purpose. Two separate teams of volunteers
> are doing the same work. In both teams, many volunteers are translating
> same sentences repeatedly.
>
> As you are aware volunteers are not paid. So the time and effort of
> volunteers are very precious and one should be very careful that there is
> no wastage. In my opinion any wastage of volunteers effort and time is a
> crime.
>
> I am sorry to say that this crime is happening in both  LO and AOO

Any suggestions for how to reduce or eliminate wastage?

Since AOO and LO differ at the UI level, the translations will not be
identical.  But the basic terminology is almost identical.  And we're
using the same tools (Pootle).  So maybe an opportunity to develop
shared glossaries of common terms and phrases?

And remember, any contribution to AOO is immediately usable by LO.  In
fact, LO office integrates many (most?) of our code changes.  And if a
LO volunteer wants their work to be usable by AOO as well, then they
just need to say so.  At the individual level it is entirely under
their control if they want to license their contributions under Apache
License as well as LGPL/MPL.  If they do that then both projects can
use the code.  I wonder if they are not aware that they may do this?

Regards,

-Rob