At 09:41 04-07-14 -0400, Louis Proyect via Marxism wrote:

>On 7/3/14 8:18 PM, martin schiller wrote:
>> when I 'reply' to a list msg, the new msg is addressed to the original
sender and the list. If an original sender is the person who reported the
problem, and is receiving duplicates of replies to his own messages, that
should be the explanation. I tend to remove the original sender address and
leave the list address when I reply.

>Hi, Martin
>
>I am cc'ing the list on this since I too was a bit puzzled by this. It
>turns out that there is no need to delete the sender of the email when
>replying because it only goes to the list and not to the sender, ie. you.

Actually that is wrong (usually, at least). If someone just hits "Reply",
then the new email acquires 2 recipients in the "To:" field. One email goes
to the list server and is forwarded to the list members, and the other one
goes directly to the author of the mail that was replied to. So in this
case, Louis should be receiving TWO copies of this email, one directly from
"Jeff", and the other one as a member of the list from "Jeff via Marxism."

Actually that isn't a great problem, just a bit confusing. Normally when
replying I delete the recipient other than the list address (but didn't in
this case, as a demonstration). It happens because the "Reply-To:" field
has both addresses included. It should really only have the list address,
like it used to, before things were changed a month ago to deal with an
unrelated problem.

- Jeff
Send list submissions to: Marxism@lists.csbs.utah.edu