#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

MM wrote: “It’s bizarre how defensive left advocates of leave have been about
this point; I haven’t seen a single serious example of this allegation, but it
is repeatedly invoked by left advocates of leave, and always defensively. Very
odd.”

You must be joking? Listening to the radio now, this is being debated on both
BBC radio 4 and LBC. The term ‘Project Sneer’ has even been coined to describe
the argument/ phenomenon. There is a growing movement to rerun the referendum
with the inference it should never have been left in the hands of Northern
malcontents (a slightly dubious petition that’s already had 2 million
signatures; prominent Labour, Tory and Liberal politicians making slightly
different arguments that all end up with the UK either not leaving or
re-joining).

It’s impossible to distil the reasons for the 17.4 million who voted leave into
one pat explanation. But the rejection of globalisation is becoming
increasingly widespread. I’m now in London doing a PhD as a mature student, and
suppose I would be – in demographic terms – a shoe-in for an ‘in’ vote; but I
voted out because I grew up in the North where life chances have declined for
decades. I left school and in a few years became a docker, a job that declined
exponentially over the ten years I was there (loss of the national dock scheme;
containerisation, casualisation etc); after that I retrained as a carpenter/
joiner. This started well but then the wages and the amount of work also fell
through the floor at the start of the recession which was when I quit and went
and began my first degree instead. As everybody knows, this decline continued
in inverse proportionality with the ascendancy of London PLC (and will be why
the Westminster consensus around devolving power/ subsidiarity to a local level
will never work and will only provoke more resentment long term).

This was what I voted against in part. I also voted against the fact that the
EU has more or less outlawed even the mildest forms of social democracy. And
I’ll be honest, *I’m not sure if I voted the right way* (there’s even terms/
hashtags that have been coined for this feeling: Regrexit and Bregret). But the
list of crimes perpetrated by the EU is a long one, not least racist policing
of the Schengen zone (generally ignored by liberals who paint the EU as a
rainbow institution); it’s own corporate capture allowing MegaCorp to drown
small business under a mountain of regulation that only MegaCorp can deal with;
innumerate examples of steam-rollering democracy (ask the Dutch, French, Irish,
Danish, Spanish, Greek, Italians or Polish people or just listen to more or
less anything J-C Juncker’s ever said ever) reflected in the closed-door
structure of the Commission; TTIP (although I’d imagine we’ll get some form of
turbo-charged trade deal in-or-out) Etc. Etc. Etc.

There is no doubt that Nigel Farage is a xenophobic, racist shitbucket who,
unfortunately, a lot of pensioners and late middle aged manual workers identify
with. During the campaign however, his most egregious announcements/ antics
were denounced by everybody including the official leave side (who mostly
prefer to signal their own nativism at a more socially acceptable dog-whistle
pitch – but, for clarity, not all the leave campaign was fought on the anti or
controlled immigration ticket). That Farage’s arguments didn’t have the
influence attributed to them can possibly be seen in the overwhelming leave
vote returned in areas with high ‘immigrant’ populations all over the mid North
East and West. Anyway, the point is that attempting to paint the EU ref as a
clash of any two homogenous constituencies of people (young/ old; progressive/
reactionary; north/ south; right/ left) is dumb.

I haven’t read the Huff Post piece yet (I will do, and I’ve heard it mentioned
on the radio this morning) but some of the Remain camp’s tears are unjustified.
This referendum hasn’t created more racists (they were already there – e.g.
some of the protests that have been cited include demonstrating outside a
mosque – this has nothing at all to do with the EU or the issues it raised);
somebody from the right of the Tory party was always going to succeed Cameron
as well; our economy was fucked already (and by that I mean within the terms of
debate given in the mainstream, I.e. our structural and fiscal deficits). I
don’t buy the argument about the EU as guarantor of peace within Europe; it’s
merely allowed our now waning, senile former imperialist powers to band
together to continue to squeeze former colonies through ruinous trade deals.
The question of whether racists have been emboldened by the result is
different, but – given the general toxicity of the debate (entirely the fault
of our political class) its difficult to imagine that this would have been
prevented if the result had gone the other way. And I would – pace the liberals
– make the same point about the EU: its deafness to its own citizens concerns
(re: declining wages, precarity etc) is allowing jack-booted little Nigel’s and
Marine’s to pop up all over its racially-bounded territories.

Jamie
Sent from Mail for Windows 10