#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

The origins of the referendum are common knowledge. Nobody on the left welcomed
the referendum as far as I know or saw it as an opportunity - so this point
about ‘naive wishful thinking’ and ‘imagined internationalist, anti-racist
uprising’ is a complete straw-man. Obviously people on both sides of the
argument attacked Farage’s rhetoric. But racism was equally forthcoming from
the other side, if more subtle (one of Cameron’s ‘concessions’ was,
effectively, to starve migrants who hadn’t found a job). Moreover, the racist
right were unleashed by the campaign itself, at least as much as the result,
and (whilst a counter-factual) its difficult to imagine the outcome would have
been any different if the result had been 48 – 52 the other way. Had it been
so, Farage would be gunning for a second ref and many who voted leave would
have had the feeling of exclusion (and its violent consequences) further
reinforced. You talk about *I and others* as if you’re *remotely* important. I
have no idea who you are/ represent/ write for. Are you suggesting everything
would of been ok if I’d just read your article in The Workers Armpit or
whatever? Have you any notion how marginal the far left are currently in the
uk? How miniscule? And yet you seem to suggest the far left can shape discourse
and set the agenda and, moreover, the message of the mainstream media is
completely unimportant. You further seem to say that we just needed the right
arguments/ theory. The truth is the far left here comprises a dwindling pool of
public sector workers, academics and students. Many of which are relatively
privileged in the eyes of the old industrial working class. In other words, the
far left was completely powerless to shape this outcome (whatever the line had
been) and, historically, has largely itself to blame through becoming
stultified/ petrified in doctrine that could no longer explain the world to the
people it sought to recruit. I personally have conceded buyers remorse in
regards my vote but in the end it made no difference (I am not in a leninst
Ponzi scheme nor will I ever be again) so you can stick your charge of
complicity up your arse. The same with your sickeningly moralising coda written
from another country.

From: MM