#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

> On Jun 27, 2016, at 5:30 PM, marinercarpen...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> I’m not sure I understand what point you’re making...

This referendum originated in Cameron’s appeasement of the right wing of his
own party; there was no “left” that was remotely capable of redefining the
terms on which it would take place or be understood — only some naive wishful
thinking. For that reason, the referendum's impact was always going to be
shaped overwhelmingly by the racist, anti-immigrant sentiments of the people
who had “won” it as a concession: they knew they could spin this as a victory
for nativism and "traditional values” (as they are now doing).

Recognising all of that, many of us urged support for remain, not out of any
love for the EU, but because *this referendum* — i.e., the one happening in the
real world, in June 2016, because of Cameron’s appeasement, as opposed to some
fantasy referendum flowing from an imagined internationalist, anti-racist
uprising — *was not the right referendum for any progressive outcome*.

Furthermore, since a leave vote was very obviously going to unleash the racist
right, many of us argued that *left* support for leave would fatally undermine
their credibility in the eyes of the millions of immigrants in Britain whom
they would be complicit in making immediately, concretely vulnerable to abuse
and physical danger — millions of people who are otherwise their natural allies.

I don’t care *remotely* what left supporters of leave want to say in response
to talking heads on the telly who are bad mouthing the British working class.
Their talking points have never been any part of the argument that I and others
were making. Raising it in discussion with left critics of their position is a
defensive red herring — a way of avoiding confontation with the awful truth
about their naivete and poor judgment, their recklessness, and their complicity
in the violence now unfolding.

I hope that’s a bit clearer, because I'm completely sick of explaining it while
people are being attacked on the streets.