#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Ratbag Media <ratbagra...@gmail.com> (Dave Riley) writes
(I am bringing seleted passages from Dave's email
with my responses in the paragraph after his passages):

> Hang on!  'Meat' is a commodity like everything else.

I disagree.  If we are talking of leaner lifestyles, different
use-values must be treated differently.  We don't want to restrict
things that make us more educated or healthier.  We want to restrict
those things which we can do without without living a too impoverished
life, and which allow us to reduce our footprint a lot.  Meat
consumption and air travel are rightly in the cross hairs as the main
things which we must learn to use only sparingly.

Further down you write:

> That's a basic principle of human evolution: we eat what we can get.
> Whether we kill or harvest it isn't the point. In rangelands the norm
> has been to grow meat and eat it BECAUSE horticulture is not an easy
> fit there. They are brittle landscapes.

You are changing the subject here.  I did not say that nomads in
Mongolia should not eat meat.  Of course they should, as long as they
maintain their traditional lifestyles.  But the masses in megacities in
Africa or Asia cannot eat much meat.  There are not enough Mongolias or
Australias or Argentinas on this planet to feed them.

Further down you write:

> Every landscape needs animals. It is a ecological fact. And landscapes
> have evolved in tandem with animals -- even our human farms.

There is a reason why we differentiate humans from other animals:
humans are too smart, we overwhelm the slow process of natural
selection and trial-and-error equilibria.  We cannot just satiate
our hunger with the thing that tastes best or even that is traditional.
We have to use our brains so that we don't disturb the balance
which we have evolved even more than we already have.

> As it happens, here in Australia the homo sapiens currently share a
> continental space where there are  74 million sheep to 23.5 million
> people with a further beef herd  of 13.4 million head.
>
> Is that too much grazing?

I have no idea how much cattle the Australian ecosystem can tolerate.  I
am sure it depends on how this cattle is being managed.  But this is not
my point.  Even if you double the meat production in Australia, you will
not produce enough meat for the billions in the emerging countries who
can afford meat now.  They must restrict their meat diet.  The Chinese
government has realized this.  The next quote is not from Dave but from
https://thinkprogress.org/united-states-meat-consumption-historic-increase-fccc1ebbf3aa#.2b2ddukl0

> This year, the Chinese government released dietary guidelines urging
> citizens to limit their meat and egg intake to 200 grams — or around
> 0.4 pounds — a day. (By contrast, the average American eats about 419
> grams of meat and eggs daily.)

I am arguing that not only the Chinese but also the Americans should be
satisfied with 200 grams of meat per day or less.  This is a simple
matter of equity, we all live on the same planet and must share what it
can give.  And if Australians produce 1000 grams of meat per day per
person (only as a matter of argument), they should also content
themselves with 200 grams and export the rest to those countries which
so far have not been able to import meat because their populations were
too poor.  This is my idea of an equitable distribution of the limited
resources of this planet.

> So I don't get you point at all.

That's why I just re-formulated it.  I hope I made it clearer
this time.

Hans.