#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

David Walters writes:

> But I can tell you now: anything that stymies the worlds desire to
> increase their standard of living ... will not find a hearing
> whatsoever and will be opposed.

Unfortunately I agree.  As I see it, the chances are slim that a
movement based on voluntary self-restraint comes off the ground now.  It
is more likely that our social systems remain unable to rein in the
profit motive, and those individuals who have options and could make a
difference now through a mass movement will not act decisively and
quickly enough to prevent dangerous climate change.  It is my guess that
most of them will not wake up until it is too late, i.e., until even the
fairest social system can no longer protect them from starvation and
accelerating disasters.  Let's hope that, when the decline has
progressed to that point, people will maintain their humanity and face
the hard times with dignity instead of exacerbating them by going to war,
OR CONTINUING TO EAT MEAT IN THE FORM OF CANNIBALISM.  But as long as I
have enough time, food, and health now, I will use my retirement years
to live simply and help others who also want to live simply, to support
any political movement that tries to solve a facet of the wicked problem
before us, and to patiently try to convince anyone who comes into
earshot that big changes are necessary now, before everything has
visibly crashed.  And I am not alone.  Many others see the danger too
and try to react in similar ways.  See for instance Bill McKibben's call
for a WWII-like mobilization

https://newrepublic.com/article/135684/declare-war-climate-change-mobilize-wwii

Hans G Ehrbar