Dd

-----Original Message-----
From: nada <dwalters...@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 11:11:18
To: Kai<killa...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Marxism] The Nuclear Power Trojan Horse

Louis,
 Harvey Wasserman is so wrong on so many facts that he consistently gets
chewed up on even liberal, mostly anti-nuclear blogs like the Daily Kos.
Most serious anti-nuclear groups simply won't used his FUD (Fear,
Uncertainty and Doubt) 'method' to debate the issue of nuclear energy.

For example, he views, always, the Nuclear Renaissance through the very
myopic vision of the U.S. No one, even the nuclear industry lobby group
the Nuclear Energy Institute, uses this term in any serious way for
developments in the United States. It is a term, which Harvey can't get
his small mind around, for a global phenomenon where dozens of nuclear
plants ARE being built (about 40 right now, perhaps twice that over the
next 18 months).

His points of the NRC and European Commission about the Westinghouse
AP1000 are hardly serious checks in their deployment (China is going to
build 100 of them alone) he mentions in his 'polemic' on nuclear are
common data information corrections regulatory groups send out to
vendors on a rather regular basis. In fact, this has not *at all* held
up deployment of the AP1000 reactor anywhere. That is for other reasons,
mostly, almost exclusively, around financing.

His totally Utopian dream of running the world on solar energy has, and
never will, find fruition unless we adopt the dystopian predication of
the late Mark Jones and adopt Pol Pot policies. Fortunately, the world
is moving ahead...and ignoring...Wasserman's non-scientific dream-land
solutions.

Hunter...it's not the 1950s. We are not digging up the world to make
nuclear weapons as was the rush in the period you have your mind set on.
We have to respect the democratic rights of all peoples concerning any
extractive industry...regardless of the where they fall on the issue.
Uranium is the NOT the most serious form of extractive industry: coal
is, and people who *ignore* this comparison fail, utterly, to really
defend land rights in the West or anywhere. Most uranium is a *by
product* of other extractive industries, like copper. When and/or if we
get the Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactor and/or the Integral Fast
Reactors deployed, we won't have to mine an ounce of uranium after that.
And we have a place to get rid the spent nuclear fuel already produced
and turn megatons of bombs into megawatts of carbon free energy.People
like Wasserman believes the 'problem' of nuclear waste goes away if we
end nuclear energy. Like an ostrich with it's head in the sand, he
hasn't a clue about how to answer that. Nor doe most anti-nuclear
activists. And that we live, forever, in coal ash and high CO2 or...some
far worse form of feudal-lie existence.

David

http://lists.econ.utah.edu/mailman/options/marxism/killakai%40gmail.com