UK MEP Tony Benn:

"Then in 1955 President Eisenhower launched the 'Atoms for
                    Peace' programme and many people, including me, saw this as
                    a classic example of 'beating swords into ploughshares' and
                    strongly supported civil nuclear power in Britain, a view
                    I still held when, in 1966 I was appointed Minister of
Technology
                    with responsibility for the development of that programme.
                   I was told, believed and argued publicly that civil nuclear
                    power was cheap, safe and peaceful and it was only later
that
                    I learned that this was all untrue since, if the full cost
                    of development and the cost of storing long-term nuclear
waste
                    is included in the calculations nuclear power is three
times
                    the cost of coal when the pits were being closed on
economic
                    grounds.

                    Nuclear power is certainly not safe as we know from
accidents
                    at Windscale (now renamed Sellafield), from Three Mile
Island
                    in America and Chernobyl in the Ukraine, dangers which the
                    authorities have always been determined to downplay.

                   Nor are Britain's civil nuclear power stations peaceful
                    as for many years, and still possibly today, the plutonium
                    they produce was sent to fuel the American nuclear weapons
                    programme, making them into - what were in effect - bomb
factories.

                   At no stage, as a minister, could I rely on being told the
                    truth either by the Industry itself, or by my own civil
servants
                    who may or may not have known it themselves.
                   Some dramatic examples of misinformation which made a deep
                    impression on me converted me from being a supporter to a
                    very strong opponent of the whole nuclear power programme.

                   Once, in Japan, a Japanese minister asked me how we were
                    getting on with the task of clearing up the fire at
Windscale
                    years before, of which I was wholly unaware.

                    When I raised this with my officials they replied that as
                    it had occurred before I took office they had not wanted to
                    'bother me' with it, all this at a time when I was arguing
                    that nuclear power was safe.

                   The same excuse, that it was 'before my time', was offered
                    when I discovered that stolen plutonium had gone to Israel
                    forming the basis of their own atomic weapons programme.
                   And, most serious of all, I heard from the Chairman of the
                    Atomic Energy Authority, that when in 1957 the Soviet
reprocessing
                    plant at Khysthm had a major accident the US Central
Intelligence
                    Agency, which had picked this up on their own monitoring
system,
                    notified the AEA but had told them not to tell British
Ministers
                    in case it shook public confidence in Nuclear power, using
                    that as the reason why I had not been informed.

                   And it was only after the 1979 election that I heard from
                    a senior scientist in the Generating Board, that while I
was
                    actually a minister, and unknown to me, plutonium from our
                    civil nuclear power stations was being sent to America for
                    their own military programme.
                   Nuclear power is expensive, dangerous and all about the
                    Bomb, using the generation of electricity as a cover to
mislead
                    the public so that the arms programme can be munitioned.
                   The decision to proceed with the MOX fuel plant at
Sellafield
                    against the strong opposition of the Irish and Norwegian
governments,
                    which fear radioactive discharges, suggests that the prime
                    minister is determined to go ahead with nuclear power,
though
                    the German government have decided to decommission 19
nuclear
                    reactors of their own.

                   And the original plans, in the USA, to build 2000 reactors
                    by the year 2000 were dropped years ago because of public
                    opposition to their construction, and it may well be that
                    is why Britain supplied America with the plutonium which
they
                    needed.

                   One other problem about nuclear power was the secret and
                    unhealthy link between senior British officials and
Westinghouse
                    who were busy trying to persuade us to start a massive new
                    power station programme using their own Pressure Water
Reactor,
                    which I had been advised had potential safety problems.

                   Throughout this long saga I came to know, trust and work
                    with Friends of the Earth, Greenpeace and other committed
                    environmentalists whose expert advice was generously made
                    available and led me to change my mind.

                   So when we are told the outcome of the review these are
                    factors we must keep in mind because you can be sure that,
                    if the decision to go ahead is made, we will not be told
the
                    whole truth and military links with the USA may well be the
                    real reason."