> On Oct 3, 2024, at 9:21 AM, David Walters via groups.io
> <david.walters66=comcast....@groups.io> wrote:
>
> There IS however a very strong movement called National Popular Vote
> Interstate Compact.

A problem with that movement is that it doesn't alter the power structure.  So
the powers that subvert elections will have the opportunity to subvert the new
system, too.

The class relationships greatly influence whether a US constitutional
convention to amend the US Constitution would lead to a useful reform.  The US
Equal Rights Amendment arose during a time of a strong labor and left
movements, and it failed as they failed during the 1970s and 1980s while and
the neoliberals took control of the US and both US political parties.

But as long as we are talking about only two parties, it's not clear to me that
any US electoral reform won't fall victim to their undemocratic machinations.

Mark

View/Reply Online (#32699): https://groups.io/g/marxmail/message/32699
-=-=-
POSTING RULES & NOTES
#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.
#4 Do not exceed five posts a day.
-=-=-
Group Owner: marxmail+ow...@groups.io