> On Oct 4, 2024, at 8:35 AM, Marv Gandall via groups.io
> <marvgand2=gmail....@groups.io> wrote:
>
> Mark,  I would be interested to know from you and others despairing of the
> lack of " independent political action by the working class" in the US, where
> you see it at work in the other advanced capitalist countries. Which party do
> you hold up as a model? Starmer's Labour? Melanchon's France Insoumise?
> Wagenknecht's party in Germany?  The Swedish social democrats? If you could
> identify a "workers'party" in another advanced capitalist country which is
> challenging the dominance of their alternating liberal and conservative
> governing duopolies,  we could have a more focused and constructive
> discussion to see whether there are actual differences between us.

I'm pretty sure there are differences between us. I was thinking of the Second
and Third International parties and their trade union wings that funded them,
historically, rather than contemporary.  Today, these parties have become
bureaucratized administrators of their respective neoliberal states.
Nonetheless, I suspect that most have much more proletarian content than the US
Democratic Party even today.  And there is something to be said for having
multiple parties with diverse interests rather than two colluding capitalist
parties running the elections.

Over time, the workers and trade union parties have been co-opted by the
capitalist states.  I expect the same thing would happen to a
one-person-one-vote, unicameral democracy in the US.

Mark

View/Reply Online (#32716): https://groups.io/g/marxmail/message/32716
-=-=-
POSTING RULES & NOTES
#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.
#4 Do not exceed five posts a day.
-=-=-
Group Owner: marxmail+ow...@groups.io