From: Simon Mackay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Do any other MiniDisc players, especially home decks, bookshelf systems,
> portable recorders and car units keep the lead time between songs down as
> much as possible during shuffle play. As well, do any MiniDisc changers
> reduce the lead time between tracks during "all-disc" shuffle play?
>
> I would say that this is possible if a machine like the MZ-E40 employs
> "read-ahead" behaviour where the machine finds the next track to play then
> starts reading it into the anti-shock buffer while the last 30 to 40
seconds
> of the current track are playing off the buffer.  A changer can use
> "read-ahead" behaviour by having a bigger buffer and would be configured
> act earlier, so as to allow it to change discs.

Well my old MZ-R3 portable certainly reads ahead the start of the next track
into the buffer (10secs) when set to one-track, shuffle, or whole disc
replay.
I would be amazed if *any* CD or MD unit did not begin filling the buffer
ASAP
with the next track, after all the whole idea is to keep it full and whether
the
next track follows sequentially or is elsewhere should be irrelevant.

As for disc changers, I don't know how long they need to faff about with the
discs but a 40sec memory should be more than adequate.

Cheers,
PrinceGaz -> you can play with me direct, or from your memory