[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> When Clay Voris wrote,
>
> V> Personally, I like the "back-to-back" shuffle play better; too bad they
> V> don't let you change the way it works in the setup menu.
>
> Simon Mackay responded,
>
> M> What a good idea! Provide an option in the unit's "Setup" menu to allow
> M> users to select this kind of behaviour -- "Seamless Shuffle" and values are
> M> "On" or "Off".
>
> It's hard to imagine why anyone would turn it off!  Besides, on a deck with
> Auto-Space, anyone who wanted silences between tracks in shuffle play could
> use Auto-Space to insert them and wouldn't need a way to turn segueing off.
>
> M> If the unit is a CD-MiniDisc combination unit of the kind that JVC makes,
> M> the buffer would work on the PCM audio, rather than the raw MiniDisc audio.
>
> Somehow I've always had the impression that the buffers already hold PCM or
> S/PDIF, not ATRAC.  That wouldn't make sense, though, because more compressed
> audio than uncompressed audio could fit in the same amount of memory.  Thanks
> for the impetus to rethink that, Simon.  (Makes me wonder how I got that idea
> in the first place; it has to be wrong.)

Hmm, let's do a little calculation:

44k1 * 16 * 10 * 2 = 14 Mbit....
(44.1 khz * 16 bits * 10 seconds * stereo );

To my knowledge, a 4Mbit RAM is used for most machines with a 10 seconds buffer.
I think the ATRAC data is stored in the memory since:

1) 14Mbit/5 equals 2.8 Mbits of ATRACed data. The closest match for
     ^    ^- compression of ATRAC!           a memory chip is 4 Mbit
     \ 44k1 * 16 * 10 * 2 = 14 Mbit.

2) Using a 4Mbits of memory is cheaper than using a 16Mbits memory.
3) The use of a 16Mbits memory resulted in a 40seconds memory buffer!

Cheers,
Ralph -> storing everything in a compressed format.....
Ralph Smeets        Functional Verification Centre Of Competence -  CMG
Voice:  (+33) (0)4 76 58 44 46                       STMicroelectronics
Fax:    (+33) (0)4 76 58 40 11                       5, chem de la Dhuy
Mobile: (+33) (0)6 82 66 62 70                             38240 MEYLAN
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                      FRANCE