Actually you bring up a point I did not think about.  Many people use their
portable units with their receivers.  So there might actually be a use.

But how many people do you know that own digital receivers with digital
inputs??  It's a little early.  They haven't become common yet.

Some goes for the MD.  Many brand new receivers on the market still do not offer
MD as a source choice.

LAS