I was under the impression that a voltage level increase of 6db is roughly
2x, and 20db is bang on 10x.  Either way it's definetly a logarithmic measure.

In terms of the power involved, given constant resistance/impedance, that is
the square of the voltage, or in dB terms +3dB is twice the power and +10dB
ten times.

So an 18-bit DAC has a theoretical resolution of 262,144 steps thus the 108dB
dynamic range (200,000 steps being roughly 106dB).

I think what Nathan / "the Rodent" said about a ten-fold power increase (10dB)
being needed to make something sound twice as loud may well be true.  The
booklet from a fairly well-respected speaker manufacturer (Wharfedale).agrees.
Anyone know anything about this.

Further tests show when my Akai amps' thermal cut-out tripped, I was probably
averaging aroung 50W RMS with peaks of near 200W RMS-- which might have
clipped or might not by my amp.The AC reading on my meter with music was
half that of a 1KHz test-sig under the same conditions.  I guess that explains
the Akai getting all hot and bothered.

Cheers,
PrinceGaz -- "if it harms none, do what you will"

Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Website: http://website.lineone.net/~princegaz/
ICQ: 36892193

From: David W. Tamkin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>