to get tracks back i use this procedure on my Sharp MD-MS 702 portable:

If i'm using it on battery alone i simply make sure that i'm not playing
anything or recording but i'm careful to make sure i don NOT shut it
off; so it is in the stopped position, then i simply and swiftly slide
the battery door open and the unit shuts off i wait a few seconds, 3-5
usually is good, and i push the battery back in and slide the door
closed, start up the unit and all changes that were not saved in the TOC
are re-implemented.

I have done this procedure flawlessly over 10 times while riding in my
mothers van while she ran errands and was always asking me to remember
to remind her of this and that so the made me screw up and accidentally
delete parts of a concert i recorded.

Once i got home and hooked up the AC cord i use this procedure:

Make sure unit is not turned off but not playing or recording, stopped
position.  Disconnect the AC from the unit, then the slide the battery
door open.  Wait a few seconds and plug my AC back in or the battery or
both.

I'm pretty sure if you delete a disc this works too.
>From what i know the only thing that is lost is information in the TOC
that tells the unit that a track is there and that is so and so long and
has this and that name.

Tip:  SAVE often once you've made a number of important changes, or even
1 o 2 changes that you are SURE of that you want to keep.  Most units
save to the TOC when the unit is told to shut off.
Hope this helps.
Sincerely,
--
Edgar Flores
a.K.a. "EggZ"  a.K.a.a. "Weird EggZ Yolkovic"