Thanks for the advice.  I'll try connecting one side of the mike to the
shield.  That was the next thing on my list to try.

I will make one of your mikes eventually. But gimme a break -- i don't
expect the Panasonic minis to compare to a 451, no matter what a great
value they are, and i am recording acoustic music in a quiet room, not
rock concerts through a PA. ;-)

 BTW -- is there a source for the AudioTechnica capsules instead of the
Panasonic?  I don't see them at Digi-Key.

later

ted