> Christopher Spalding wrote:
>

> It actually takes a metal class tape to store digital data on, and even on
>
> these you will notice that DAT occasionally will have glitches and it

You can store digital data on any medium you like, for instance, knots in a
string (you might need a lot of string).

> Now, obviously more durable media such as CDs and MDs don't
> experience errors that much ...

I'm not sure this is true. Given the high degree of error recovery possible,
how could you tell ? I believe CD pressing can be quite crude, but it does
not matter.

        ... thus the higher quality the media the more
> likely it is that the reproduction will match the orriginal.

This does not follow. "Better" quality media MAY experience less errors (or
may be entirely marketing hype), but as long as the errors are corrected, it
makes no difference.

>  If you took a
> bunch of cheap minidiscs and continued using them until you had a few
> glitches, and then repeated the experiment using higher quality discs, you
>
> would probably find that it would take longer for the higher quality discs
>
> to produce glitches.

This needs to be established by statistically significant experiment. Is it
the case that continued reuse of ANY type of MD causes it to give errors ?

simon