Christopher Spalding wrote:

> But what the accuracy of the data comes down to is that whilst the error
> correction my cause the errors on the discs, etc to be unnoticable, it is
> still ony the machine's best guess as to what should be there, so it isn't
> exactly what the original should sound like.  It may only be the difference
> that a fanatic audiophile or experienced engineer may notice but it is still
> there.

That's not exactly true Chris. For situations where the error rate is less than
220 bits per second (I think) the original signal can be reconstructed with 100%
accuracy, because the error correction system is designed in such a way as to be
able to do that. If the error rate becomes significantly high enough, then what
you saying would apply.

--
Magic

Location : Portsmouth, England, UK