The rodent scratched,

> Practicality: optical jacks are significantly smaller than the RCA jacks
> digital coax uses, making it a preference for portable equipment.

Matt responded:

| 2.5mm mono jacks are even smaller and could transfer TTL SPDIF without any
| problems at all.....

Neither an RCA jack nor a 2.5mm mono jack for TTL S/PDIF can double as a
stereo analog jack.  A 3.5mm optical jack can.  (Are there even such things
as 2.5mm stereo jacks and plugs?)

Now, certainly a 3.5mm mono plug could also carry TTL S/PDIF, but then how
would the recording unit sense whether the incoming electrical signal is
supposed to be S/PDIF or analog audio?  (I think somebody brought that up
before.)  So I'm guessing that the only kind of digital receptable that can
share quarters with analog stereo is a 3.5mm optical minijack.