From: "Richard Wright" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >I stand corrected. The SPDIF signal is indeed different.
> >Ok everybody - forget the experiment (but do send pictures of your
> >gold-plated optical connectors).

> I'll try and get some for you all to laugh at :-)
> I think they're made by Van Damme who make high quality cables and
> connectors, so god knows what they're doing making gold plated optical leads!!
> >Grover

Perhaps the gold plated plug reduces spurious optical reflections between the
lead and the LED / photodiode.  I bet a hi-fi journalist would be able to "explain"
how the gold-plated plugs produce superior sound quality.  Such knowledge
of optics is beyond me or anyone with a scientific background however :-)

Cheers,
PrinceGaz -- "if it harms none, do what you will"

Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Website: http://website.lineone.net/~princegaz/
ICQ: 36892193