>>> Stainless Steel Rat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 01/17 11:54 am >>>
>
> Well, there is the problem that 2.5mm anything is totally alien to the
> audio world,

Nope .... have a look around at most dictation equipment and you'll find
a lot of 2.5mm stuff (I have at least 2 items).   2.5mm is also being
used in mobile phone communications - (hands free kits and car kits)
granted it's not really "audio" related.

> whereas the optical miniplug can be easilly integrated with
> the very common 1/8" stereo minijack.  So, when the issue is space, one
> jack that can do two things is preferable to two separate jacks.

I do agree here .... multi use plugs do serve you well  when space is
a premium (like on portable equipment).

Cheers    GC

PS:  Does anyone know the history of the 1/8th (3.5mm - actually 3.175mm if it
was 1/8") and 1/4" (6.3mm) jacks ?