Magic wrote:

> > Is there really much difference
> > between optical and co-ax digital connections in home audio use?
>
> Coax is a lot cheaper... other than that... no.

It ain't necessarily so. I can put a case for optical connections being
(potentially) both cheaper and more reliable. The fibre itself is some kind
of acrylic, with probably a PVC sleeve. It can be bought for pence a metre
in bulk, and since it contains no copper is probably cheaper and easier to
make than a coax. There is no soldering required, the fibre just pushes into
the connector, and it can be cut with wirecutters, no need for optical
polishing. The connectors are simple plastic mouldings, with no particular
requirement for accurate alignment, and since it suffices to stuff the bare
fibre into the hole, and hold it in place with a piece of gum, provided you
can keep fluff out of the connector, the connection should be more reliable
than a pair of (allegedly) corrosion-prone metal/metal contacts.

The fact that optical connections currently attact a price premium is an
artifact of their newness.

simon