'Ol Ratinox wrote:

> Also, rechargeable batteries are not good for high instantaneous loads.
> Trying to deliver power under such requirements can cause physical damage
> to the batteries.

I would have thought this was backwards. NiCads are GOOD at delivering high
instantaneous currents, due to their very low internal resistance, whereas
alkaline cells have a higher internal resistance and a lower peak current. I
have a hole I melted in my carpet when I dropped some nicads on the floor
and did not notice that one of them was shorted.

And Rick added:

        I once heard some argument to the effect that rechargeable batteries
        are sometimes not recommended for certain equipment because their
        internal resistance is different (lower?) and so could drop more
        current into some circuits than they should take. Is this a bogus
        argument?

In general, the current drawn from a battery is dependant on its voltage and
the resistance of the LOAD. It would be poor design to rely on the supposed
inability of the battery to sustain some high current level to limit the
current. Precis: Yes, it's bogus.

simon