"Lou Paris Jr." wrote:

> I was hoping that when I got my new Sony MXD-D3 that MD would survive the
> MP3/CD-R/Memory Stick onslaught, but it might be nearing the end of real
> support with MD.
>
> I think if Sony wants MD to live in the "Internet Age" they need to make a
> unit with USB support that can take a MP3 data stream and do high speed
> (4x-12x) data dumps. With some of the new products I have researched on in
> the MP3 world I might have made a bad decision going back to MD.

I agree.  Even if Sony wants to keep MD compatible with older units,
they don't HAVE to include built-in MP3 decoders.  An invisible high
speed MP3 to ATRAC conversion before it saves to the MD would be
sufficient and retain compatibility with older hardware.
I don't know if MD will carry very far into the future.  I don't see
many more people using MD than there were a year ago.  I don't see any
more MD hardware than I did a year ago, to be honest, I see less.  Where
MD used to stand alone at Best Buy, the displays are reduced to a
fraction their original size with the rest of the space dedicated to
$400-500 CD Audio recorders.
I was looking for an OEM stereo for my other car, and on every OEM car
stereo website, they also sell car MP3 players that have a CD-ROM drive
built into them.  MP3 is big, and Sony is making a mistake if they sit
still with MD.  It's obvious that to fit into this trend of MP3's
reigning popularity, MD has to have some really cool MP3 and MD
integration.  The need for a special soundcard with digital audio
output, special Toslink cables, and realtime recording just doesn't make
MD the best MP3 solution out there anymore.

--
Shawn Lin
http://www2.cybercities.com/g/gmwbodycars/